Tier-One Legal Advice
Peter W. Ito
Attorney At Law
The holder of an "AV" rating, Mr. Ito has been rated as preeminent with the highest ethical standard by Martindale-Hubbell, an authoritative resource on the legal profession.
Mr. Ito has represented creditors' committees, debtors-in-possession, chapter 11 and 7 trustees, litigation trustees, secured and unsecured creditors, and buyers of distressed businesses in bankruptcy cases throughout the United States. He also has significant experience in workouts, equity and rents/profits receiverships, and counseling clients on bankruptcy considerations related to business transactions. Mr. Ito's industry experience encompasses, among other areas, oil and gas, real estate (golf course and residential home developments), telecommunications (festooned fiber optic cable, cellular phone manufacturer and service provider, and FCC licenses), manufacturing (pre-engineered steel buildings, twist-off bottle cap tops, aircraft insulation blankets), finance (subprime mortgages, subprime credit card receivables, accounts receivable securitizations, and collateralized investments), medical (self-insured physicians group), and gaming.
Mr. Ito has significant experience representing creditors' committees in large and mid-size chapter 11 cases across the United States. With the singular goal of maximizing value for the benefit of the committee and its constituents, Mr. Ito's recent engagements as lead counsel to creditors' committees include the second largest destination resort club as measured by membership with in excess of $100 million in debt, a destination resort club with in excess of $50 million in debt, an automobile dealership operating under a franchise agreement with General Motors, a leading manufacturer of twist-off bottle cap tops, a pre-engineered steel building fabricator with operations in the United States and Canada with secured debt in excess of $400 million, and a financial services company that offered subprime credit card origination, cardholder services, and receivable sales and securitizations; face value of portfolio in excess of $7 billion. Mr. Ito also counsels and advises clients who sit as members of creditors' committees.
Having practiced bankruptcy law since completing a judicial clerkship with the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California, Mr. Ito has represented debtors-in-possession as well as chapter 11 and 7 trustees. Recent engagements in which Mr. Ito served as lead counsel include the owner and operator of a festooned submarine fiber-optic network system built along the coast of California and designed to provide high-capacity carrier, enterprise and governmental customer route diversity for telecommunications in California, and a privately held provider of advanced test messaging and outsourced customer care and technical support.
Mr. Ito's creditors' rights practice includes representing secured and unsecured creditors on matters involving bankruptcy and the attainment of provisional remedies on behalf of secured lenders. In the bankruptcy arena, Mr. Ito has served as lead counsel to the lessor of gaming equipment involved in a dispute with the owner/operator of a "cruise to nowhere" maritime vessel in Florida and a major Korean company that sold telecommunications equipment and provided telecommunication services to a privately held provider of cellular service operating in the mid-west United States. Mr. Ito has also represented secured lenders and receivers in more than 200 equity and rents/profits receiverships in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego Counties involving multi-family housing, retail shopping centers, office buildings, restaurants and a golf course.
From 1989 to 1990, Mr. Ito served as a law clerk to the Honorable Louise DeCarl Adler, Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California. Mr. Ito also served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Barry S. Schermer, Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- J.D. - 1989
- University of Colorado, Denver, Colorado
- B.A. - 1986
- Major: Political Science
Classes & Seminars
- "Bankruptcy and Restructuring Chapter 11 Strategies 2009; Top Lawyers on Trends and Key Strategies for the Upcoming Year", Thomson Reuters/Aspatore, 2009
- "Recent Developments in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Practice", Bankruptcy Practice: Recent Development Programs, CEB, 1992
- INSOL International Conference, Czech Republic, 2004
- Distressed Debt Seminar, New York City, 2003 to 2004
- 7th Annual Distressed Investing Summit, 2008
- "Commentary on Countrywide Settlement", 2008
- Honorable Louise DeCarl Adler, Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California, Law Clerk, 1989 to 1990
- Honorable Barry S. Schermer, Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, Judicial Intern
- "The Role of a Chapter 11 Unsecured Creditors' Committee and Eligibility to Serve Thereon", Aspatore Books, September, 2008
- "Navigating the Subprime Lending Industry: Leading Lawyers on Understanding the Subprime Collapse, the Causes of the Current Lending Climate, and the Industry's Pending Future", Aspatore Books, May, 2008
- "Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Client Strategies - Leading Lawyers on Understanding Key Business Issues, Working with Debtors and Creditors, and Formulating a Successful Strategy", Aspatore Books, February, 2008
- Co-Author, "Eyeing Foreign Capital, Indonesia Enacts Changes", National Law Journal, September 14, 1998
- California Receivers Forum, Past-President
- San Diego Chapter of the California Receivers Forum, Founder and First President
- San Diego County Bar Association, Commercial Law Section, Past-Chair
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Unsecured Creditors Committee - Education Subcommittee, 2008
- Bankruptcy & Creditors' Rights
- California, 1991
- District of Columbia, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 2014
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 2005
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1991
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1991
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2010
- U.S. District Court District of North Dakota, 2010
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 2010
- *Mr. Ito is not licensed in Colorado
- "AV" Rating, by Martindale-Hubbell**
**AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.